Amazing Grilled Tomatoes
This is no plain grilled tomato. This recipe accentuates the flavor explosion the grill give this beautiful fruit.
Yield: 6 servings
Total time: 45 mins.
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 tsp. EVOO
- 4 tsp. vinegar of choice
- 1 tsp. salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- Sugar as needed to taste
- Slice the tomatoes in half laterally.
- Squeeze or spoon out the pulp and transfer it to a bowl.
- Slice the bay leaf into very thin strips. Add bay leaf, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the tomato pulp. Smash ingredients with a spoon or fork to combine. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the seeded tomato halves with some salt and hit them with a little bit of olive oil.
- Place the wire rack on the grill and wipe it with oil, then sprinkle with a bit of salt. (This will help prevent tomatoes from sticking.)
- Place the tomato halves on the rack, cut side down, and cook 10 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Five minutes into cooking, the bottoms of the tomatoes should be notably darker but not black. If they’re still red, crank up the heat.
- After about 10 minutes of cooking, flip the tomato halves. Spoon in some of the pulp mixture and sprinkle each half with sugar. Cover the grill with the lid. Check on your tomatoes every few minutes to makes sure they are not burning. When they look the way you like them, remove and serve.