Cauliflower Steaks with Miso Dressing
Active Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
Yield: 4 (serving size: 1 cauliflower steak, 2 tbsp. sauce)
Slabs of fiber-rich cauliflower show off on the grill thanks to a basting with this umami-packed sauce, which you can prepare ahead of time to make this recipe even speedier. Served with extra sauce and a sprinkle of smoky grilled scallions, this dish may even convert some meat-eaters in your bunch.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white miso (soybean paste)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (from 3 garlic cloves)
- 2 (2 1/2-lb.) large cauliflower heads
- 1 small bunch scallions
- 3/4 teaspoon togarashi
- 4 lime wedges
- Whisk together honey, stock, sesame oil, lime juice, soy sauce, sambal, miso, and garlic in a medium saucepan over high. Bring to a boil. Cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Trim away outer leaves from cauliflower heads. Cut heads in half lengthwise; cut a 1-inch-thick “steak” from each cauliflower half, to get 4 steaks total. Reserve remaining cauliflower for another use. Rub 4 teaspoons of the dressing over each steak.
- Heat a large grill pan over medium-high, and coat with cooking spray. Add cauliflower steaks to pan; cook until tender and well-marked, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Coat scallions with cooking spray, and place on grill pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until slightly wilted and charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Coarsely chop scallions, and sprinkle over cauliflower steaks. Drizzle with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with togarashi. Serve with lime wedges.