Yes, you can grill beets! The hot fire of the grill brings out the earthy sweetness of beets with an added hint of smoky flavor and an almost candied coating. Grilled beets make a delicious and beautiful addition to any grilled vegetable platter.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Salt (for sprinkling, to taste)
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-heat. If the grill is too hot the beets will burn before they cook through. If you need a hotter grill to cook other things, cook the beets on the cooler edges of the grill.
- While the grill heats, peel and slice the beets.
- Brush the beets with olive oil or vegetable oil or, put the slices in a large bowl, drizzle with the oil and toss to coat the beets evenly.
- Place the beets on the grill and sprinkle lightly with salt, if you like.
- If using a gas grill, close the cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the beets over and continue cooking until the beets are tender and grill-marked, another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the beets hot, warm, or at room temperature. Drizzle them with additional olive oil for serving, if you like. This is also a great time to use any nut oils since they so perfectly complement the earthy-yet-sweet flavor of grilled beets.