Grilled Hasselback Potatoes
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 1 hr. 15 mins.
- 4 medium russet baking potatoes, washed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 8 (3/4-ounce) slices cheese each cut into 6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Kosher salt, if desired
- Fresh ground pepper, if desired
- Heat one side of gas grill to high or charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Place coals to one side in charcoal grill.
- Slice thin piece off bottom of each potato. Cut each potato into 12 slices, cutting almost to bottom. (Do not cut all the way through, a chopstick placed on both sides of the potato will aid in consistent cuts and not cutting all the way through.)
- Place potatoes onto plate; microwave 5 minutes. Rotate potatoes; microwave 5 minutes.
- Place each potato onto center of 14x12-inch piece heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Combine melted butter and garlic in bowl; brush evenly over potatoes and into slices.
- Bring up sides of foil, forming pouch to enclose potato. Seal well. Place onto grill opposite heat. Grill 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from grill. Carefully open foil; place 1-piece cheese into each potato slice. Reseal; continue grilling 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle each potato with 1 1/2 teaspoons chives before serving. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.