A Very Possible Veggie Burger
A from-scratch veggie burger that can go right from the mixing bowl onto the grill.
Yields: 8 patties
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 14-oz. block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 14.5-oz. cans black beans, rinsed, drained well
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (vegan, if you are vegan)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 4 tsp. chili powder (make sure it’s salt-free)
- 4 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 2 tsp. Morton kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (we prefer red or black), cooled
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
Your favorite burger toppings and condiments
- Prepare a grill for medium-high, direct heat. Clean and oil grate. Shred tofu using the large holes of a box grater. Firmly squeeze tofu in between paper towels to drain as much excess liquid as possible.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Cook tofu and beans, tossing occasionally, until beans look slightly dried out and their skins are darkened, 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk almond butter and mayonnaise in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in garlic, chili powder, and salt. Add tofu-bean mixture and cooked quinoa and stir well to combine.
- Stir flaxseed and ¼ cup cold water in a small bowl. Let sit until a thick paste forms, about 1 minute. Add to tofu-bean mixture along with cornstarch and stir well to combine.
- Using oiled hands, form mixture into 8–10 patties about ½" thick (about a scant ¾ cup each). Grill until lightly charred around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn carefully using a metal spatula to cleanly lift off grate and grill until lightly charred on second side and warmed through, about 2 minutes more.
- Place burgers on bottoms of buns. Pile high with your favorite burger toppings.
Note: Patties can be formed 3 days ahead. Tightly wrap each in plastic and chill.