Coconut Marinated Chicken
Coconut milk is a fantastic marinade which tenderizes the chicken and infuses it with rich flavor. The added bonus is that the marinade doubles as a scrumptious sauce!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Total: 25 mins
- 1 can coconut milk (preferably full fat, but light is ok) (14oz)
- 2 limes - all the zest + 3 tbsp of juice
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger , finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tbsp hot sauce of choice (adjust to taste)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1.5 lb chicken thigh fillets , skinless and boneless
- 1 tbsp oil (for cooking)
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the Marinade, shaking off the excess. Keep the Marinade for the Sauce (below).
- Brush the BBQ with oil and heat to medium high, or heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken for around 7 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side, or until cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Sauce and garnished with fresh cilantro leaves, if using.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for at least 10 minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency.