Coconut Rum Grilled Shrimp
In our house we like the local Siesta Key Coconut Rum for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite coconut rum.
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup spiced rum (can use non-spiced rum, if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 pounds large shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, rum, and lime juice. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Set aside half of mixture for the glaze.
- Add shrimp to remaining mixture still in the bowl. Gently coat all shrimp with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While shrimp is marinating, make your glaze by placing reserved mixture in a small saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and while stirring constantly, allow mixture to thicken slightly, reduced to about 1/2 – 1/3 cup. Remove immediately from heat.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and thread onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. (Using 2 skewers will help them stay put when turning on the grill.) Discard any remaining marinade.
- Grill shrimp over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side or until shrimp have turned pink.
- Remove from grill and brush shrimp with glaze. Turn skewers over and brush the other side with glaze. Serve and enjoy!