Dixie Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
Prep time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 cups
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 Jalapeno chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning mix
- 1 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cornstarch to thicken, if desired
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, finely chop onions, celery, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, and chili peppers.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat, add contents from food processor, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
- Add ketchup, honey,lime juice, parsley, mustard and seasoning mix. Bring to a low boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add whiskey and stir. If desired, thicken with cornstarch dissolved in water and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or cool to room temperature and transfer to a glass container.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving