Other thin steaks with a loose grain, such as skirt or steak tips, can be substituted for the flank steak. Avoid dark or spiced rum here its intense flavor will overwhelm the steak. If using a gas grill, grill the steak covered for maximum heat output.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup light rum
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion, minced
1 flank steak (about 1.5 lbs.), scored on both sides at 1 1/2-inch intervals
- Whisk rum, soy sauce, sugar and garlic in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Transfer ¼ cup rum mixture to a small bowl and stir in scallions; set aside.
- Place remaining marinade and steak in a gallon-size zipper-lock bag. Press air out of bag, seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 4 hours.
- Remove steak from bag, pat dry with paper towels and discard marinade.
- Grill steak over hot fire until well browned and cooked to desired temperature, 4 to 7 minutes per side.
- Transfer steak to cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice thinly against the grain. Drizzle with reserved rum mixture. Serve.