Fresh Pickle Relish
This recipe may mean you never want to buy store bought relish again. What better way to top off a meal made from fresh ingredients; fresh homemade accompaniments.
Yield 8 servings
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 large (1 lb.) cucumber (preferably an English hothouse variety), finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt plus more
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. grated peeled ginger
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Place cucumber in a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl; toss with 1 tsp. salt. Let sit 10 minutes, then squeeze well to remove as much moisture as possible (do not rinse).
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cook, stirring, just until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Mix in ginger and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and sugar and cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes longer. Mix in cucumber; transfer to a small bowl and season with salt. Let cool.
Relish can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
Chris Morocco Bon Appétit August 2013
Photo by Marcus Nilsson