Ginger-Plum Barbecue Sauce
Use this sauce as an unexpected wing sauce for game day. This sauce also pairs well with beef, chicken, pork, fish or shrimp. Delicious and versatile, just like we like our sauces. Prep time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 8-10 ripe plums, pitted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- or 2 strips lemon zest
- 2 hot chili peppers, seeded
- 4 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce, or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- combined with 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- Reduce to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until plums are very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender to process to a purée, then return to the pan. Taste for seasoning, adding more soy sauce, honey, or lemon juice as necessary. The sauce should be sweet, sour, and spicy. If too thick, thin with water.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm or room temperature. The sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.