This artichoke recipe is more than just a side dish. The sauce coupled with the seasoned pistachio topping adds a protein element that makes this dish a great vegetarian entree.Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. raw pistachios
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. finely chopped roasted pistachios
- Lemon wedges, for serving
(optional garlic chips, for garnish)
- Clean the artichokes: Fill a large stockpot mostly with water and squeeze in juice of 1 lemon and drop in spent lemon halves. Using kitchen shears, trim off spiny tips of artichoke leaves, periodically dipping cut areas into the lemon water to prevent oxidation. Use a chef’s knife to cut away the top inch of the artichoke and the fibrous bottom ½” of its stem. Peel off tough outer leaves near the stem and use a paring knife or peeler to remove the fibrous skin on the remaining stem. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise and remove furry choke center with a spoon. Remove all purple inner leaves. Rinse under cold water, cleaning out the area surrounding the choke and between the outer leaves. Place cleaned artichokes into lemon water and clean remaining artichokes.
- Place large pot containing artichokes over medium-high heat, add in a small handful kosher salt, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook, covered, until stems are knife-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil and garlic until garlic turns lightly golden. Remove from heat immediately and sprinkle salt on garlic chips. Set aside.
- Make the yogurt sauce: In a food processor, process pistachios with salt until very finely ground, then drizzle in oil until smooth paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in yogurt and lemon juice.
- Make the pistachio topping: In a small skillet over medium heat, toast coriander, sesame, salt, and pepper until fragrant and lightly golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in pistachios, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush artichokes with garlic oil all over and lightly season with salt and pepper. Place cut-side down on grill and cook until lightly charred on one side, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until charred on second side, 5 minutes more.
- Serve artichokes with a squeeze of lemon, a dollop of yogurt sauce, and a sprinkle of pistachio topping and crushed garlic chips.