This Grilled Calamari is grilled on a stick, which in my opinion, is just as good as fried! Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best and this is no exception. A squeeze of lime, some silky virgin olive oil and sprinkle of salt and pepper - so good and such an easy fish dish!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 lb. squid calamari, tubes only
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- few sprigs fresh parsley finely minced
- bamboo skewers soaked
- Preheat grill. Wash squid, pat dry with paper towel. Cut squid into 2-inch tubes and thread onto bamboo skewer. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 4 minutes each side or until edges slightly charred.
- Drizzle olive oil over cooked calamari, squeeze lime over and top with parsley
If possible, get your fishmonger to clean the squid for you.
To tenderize the meat and remove some of the chewiness, soak the squid in either lemon juice or kiwi fruit juice for half an hour before cooking. The acidity helps to break down the texture. Alternatively, tenderize by soaking the squid in milk overnight, covered and refrigerated.
When grilling, thread squid bodies lengthwise onto skewers so they lie flat.
Calamari is a high protein, low fat meal so if you’d like to keep things healthy, serve it with a Greek Salad.