Grilled Oysters Rockefeller
Serves approx. 6
Oysters, this is one of those things you either love or hate. This recipe is for you oyster lovers. Anyone that enjoys oysters knows about Oysters Rockefeller. It’s one of those classic recipes that each chef puts his or her spin on. So here is a great version to make on your grill, enjoy.
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- One 10-oz. box frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained, and pressed to remove all the liquid)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 36 Gulf Coast oysters, in shell
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tbs. plain dry breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges, if desired
- Preheat your grill on high. Oil the grill’s cooking surface. Let the coals burn down to a medium-hot fire or adjust the gas grill burners to medium.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until you just smell it. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and milk, and cook, stirring a few times, another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Shuck the oysters as if you were serving them on the half shell. Pour any liquor from the oysters into the spinach mixture. Place the oysters on a baking sheet. Add about 1 tablespoon of the spinach mixture to each oyster. (You may not use up all the spinach mixture.) Top with some cheese and breadcrumbs. Place the oysters on the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the oysters to a platter and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.