Grilled Potato and Onion Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon
Total Time: 30 min.
Yields: approx. 12 servings
This side dish is a perfect complement to a grilled steak of your choosing. This dish is also a great option for parties not only because it is always a big hit but it also presents well with a pop of color provided by the red onions.
- 1 lb. sliced meaty bacon
- 3 red onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 lbs. small new potatoes scrubbed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lb. blue cheese crumbled (Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Maytag Blue)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the bacon slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until they are brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer the bacon slices to paper towel—lined plates to drain. Crumble into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the red onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and tender, about 5 minutes. Cut the grilled onions into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large pot of salted cold water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Simmer until they are beginning to get tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and cut them in half. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the potatoes over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are tender and browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the blue cheese. Add the bacon, onions and potatoes and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to a clean bowl and serve.