Grilled Scallops with Miso Butter
Yields 8-10 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 ½ tsp miso paste
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ lb. diver scallops
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a dry skillet set over medium-low heat, toast the sesame seeds until golden brown and aromatic, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- 2. In a small sauce pot over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the miso until well combined.
- 3. Pat the scallops dry using a paper towel and thread two scallops onto two parallel bamboo skewers. Repeat with the remaining scallops.
- 4. In a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil. When the oil shimmers, season the scallops and add them to the skillet or grill pan. (You’ll probably have to work in batches, two skewers at a time.) Sear the scallops until the bottom edges are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, flip the scallops and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5. To serve, transfer the scallops to a warmed plate, brush the scallops with melted butter, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
By Paul Kita Dec 31, 2013