Grilled Thai Curry Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Prep Time: 25 min.
Marinate Time: 4 hours to overnight
Cook Time: 15 Min.
This dish is a Thai food dream. Savory grilled chicken marinated for full flavor accompanied by a creamy Thai inspired peanut sauce. Give me a side of Jasmine rice and I'm good!
For the chicken
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 - 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- optional lime wedges
For the sauce
- 1 (13-oz) can coconut milk (do not use low fat)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness between two pieces of wax or parchment paper. Cut the breasts into 1-1/2" pieces and set aside.
- Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, dark brown sugar, lime zest, vegetable oil, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cardamom and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix until chicken is evenly coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce and red curry paste in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes. Add the fresh lime juice. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Meanwhile, thread the chicken pieces onto skewers. Grease the grill. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve the chicken skewers with the Coconut-Peanut Sauce and lime wedges, if desired.