Grilled Vegetable Torte
Serve this warm or cold, it matters not. It makes a beautiful presentation (sort of like a TART!!!) and those breadcrumbs on the top are the best part.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced 1/4" thick
- 4 zucchini, sliced the long way, 1/4" thick
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced and sautéed or caramelized
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
- olive oil & kosher salt
- fresh basil leaves or fresh thyme
1. Start by grilling your vegetables (you can even do this the day before) use a little olive oil and kosher salt.
2. Spray an 8" spring form pan with PAM, and start layering.
3. Start with the eggplant slices as your base, then the zucchini, mushrooms, then the peppers, then the tomatoes.
4. Sprinkle a layer of chopped basil leaves, Parmesan then breadcrumbs.
5. Repeat with the remainder of the vegetables. I like the last layer to be eggplant, but it's your choice. I also added some leftover caramelized onions to one of the layers to give it a nice sweetness.
6. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese, then the breadcrumbs.
7. Drizzle w/ olive oil and bake for 30 minutes in a 400F oven.
8. Let cool about an hour before removing the sides of the pan.
9. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice into individual pieces.
Note: You can serve a cold tomato sauce alongside, or a pesto if you like. But it stands well on its own.