Classic Mediterranean Marinade
Redolent with garlic, piquant with fresh lemon juice, and fragrant with extra virgin olive oil, it instantly transports you to the Mediterranean. I can't think of a single food that doesn't taste better bathed in it. You can use it as both a marinade and a basting sauce. If marinating poultry, meat, or seafood, simply set a portion aside for basting.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
- 4 strips of lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved.
- Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil.
- Stir or whisk in the olive oil.
- The virtue of this marinade is its freshness: Use it within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.