Memphis Style Rib and Brisket Glaze
This sauce takes a little time to get it right but then again most great things do take time to get right.
Prep time: 1hr. 45 mins.
Yield: 1 quart
- 2 ½ c. tomato sauce
- 1/3 c. yellow mustard
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp. chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 c. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. celery powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, mustard and vinegar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, do not boil.
- In a small food processor, puree onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic in water.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, cooking over medium-high heat for 2-3 mins.
- Add to the tomato sauce mixture, stir to blend and continue to simmer.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, pepper, and spice powders. Mix and add ¼ of dry ingredients to the tomato mixture. Stir and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add another ¼ of the dry ingredients to the pan, stir and simmer for 15 mins, continue in this manner till all dry ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is briskly simmering but not boiling.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, cook for 30 mins or until sauce thickens.
- Serve tepid or at room temp or transfer to a glass container, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.