North Carolina Pig Picking Sauce
Vinegar sauces have their roots in North Carolina. The state is divided in half according to the type of sauce being served. Eastern North Carolina is known for its straight vinegar sauces made simply with salt and various peppers. Western North Carolina adds a touch of tomato and sugar to their vinegar sauces to smooth out the taste.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 cups
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring constantly to blend well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To allow all flavors to have time to mellow and meld together, be sure to make this sauce a day in advance and store in refrigerator. Can be refrigerated for a week or more in a covered glass container.