Chunks of chicken, pork, lamb (traditional) or venison are marinated in a mixture of oil, vinegar and herbs for 1 to 3 days, skewered, grilled and served on Italian bread with no condiments.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 1 day
Yield: 12 servings
- 5 pounds chicken, cubed
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons crushed dried mint
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Place the cubed chicken into a large resealable plastic bag or container, add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, garlic salt, oregano, garlic salt, mint, basil, and black pepper. Seal the container and shake until combined. Refrigerate for 1 to 3 days, shaking the container to turn the meat every 6 to 8 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. When you are ready to cook, remove meat from the marinade and place on skewers.
- Place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook, turning every three minutes until cooked through and the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees F. Don’t overcook or the meat will be very dry.
- Serve the grilled meat on Italian bread or hot dog rolls.
Per Serving: 375.8 calories; 39.7 g protein; 1.5 g carbohydrates; 107.8 mg cholesterol; 936.8 mg sodium.