Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
Makes about 6 servings
This barbecue sauce is the perfect recipe for those watching their sugar intake. A full flavor BBQ without all the sugar found in store bought sauces. Inviting over a diabetic guest? Whip up this sauce for a worry free option.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ grated or finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz. canned whole tomatoes
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- Carefully heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the onion and fry until soft and glossy over medium heat.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Grind the spices and add them to the saucepan together with the tomatoes and the vinegar. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Mix, using an immersion blender, until smooth and let cool. If you want a thicker sauce let it simmer longer, until it reaches the desired consistency.
This BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade before you grill or bake in the oven. You can also enjoy it as a condiment. A couple of tablespoons mixed with mayonnaise makes an easy, tasty dressing for burgers and other barbecue favorites.
Some Nutritional Data Per serving:
Net carbs: 15 % (3 g)Fiber: 2 gFat: 79 % (8 g)Protein: 6 % (1 g)kcal: 91