Sweet Chili Eggplant and Arugula Salad
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and cut into thin rings or half moons
- 2 tbsp flour
- grapeseed or other high smoking oil
- 3 generous handfuls of arugula
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 sprig of mint, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Grill the eggplant: lightly drizzle the slices with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a grill heated to high. Grill until marks are achieved and eggplant is soft but still holding its shape, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Fry the shallots: heat about 2 inches of grapeseed oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Toss the sliced shallots in the flour, shaking off excess. Drop a couple slivers of shallot into the oil to see if it’s ready. If it bubbles away and the shallots float, it’s ready. Gently drop about half of the shallots into the oil (no overcrowding!). Stir them up so that they brown evenly. Once adequately browned and crisp, remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and repeat process with remaining shallots. Set aside.
- Make the dressing; whisk to combine all dressing ingredients (except the oil) in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil while simultaneously whisking the mixture. Once combined, set aside.
- Mix the eggplant pieces, green onions, mint and half of the dressing in a bowl with your hands and set aside. Place arugula on serving plate, season and drizzle some of the dressing on top. Mound eggplant mixture on top of arugula and garnish with the fried shallots.