BBQ Bacon Wrapped Onion Bombs
These BBQ Bacon Wrapped Onion Bombs are like large meatball stuffed onions and are fabulous!! A must try recipe!!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs (for Keto use Almond flour)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk (or your favorite mild alternative)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (for Keto use sugar-free variety)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 " cube of cheddar cheese per meatball
- 5-6 large onions
- 1 lb. bacon
- Additional BBQ sauce
- Mix the meatball ingredients together, omitting the cheese, in a large bowl with your hands until well combined. Prepare your grill for indirect heat and pre-heat to around 400°
- Slice the top and bottom off an onion and peel off the skin. Cut the onion in half and now peel back the layers. Use the two sides of the onion and see how large you need to make your meatball. Stuff the meatball with the 1/2" cheese cube and roll into a ball. Insert your meatball in the onion halves and make sure it fits nicely, not too small or too large.
- Wrap each of the onion bombs with 2-3 slices of bacon depending on the size of the bomb and secure with toothpicks. Grill for approx. 40 min. or until a thermometer reads 165F. Brush liberally with BBQ sauce and grill another 3-5-mins.