Bratwurst with Brie and Apple Slaw
Take the simple act of grilling bratwurst to another level with this delicious recipe.
Total: 45 min
- 4 bratwurst, about 4 ounces each
- 4 pretzel hotdog buns, split
- Melted butter, for brushing
- 6 ounces Brie, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 crisp apples (like Fuji or Honeycrisp), unpeeled
- 1 extra-large carrot, peeled
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- For the bratwurst: Prepare a gas grill for medium-high heat. Grill the bratwurst until cooked through (160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer), turning once, 20 to 25 minutes.
- For the slaw: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Whisk in the olive oil to make a dressing.
- With a spiral slicer, cut the apples and carrot into spirals; (if you don’t have a spiral cutter you can also just cut into a fine julienne) add to the dressing. Add the scallions and toss well. Refrigerate the slaw until ready to serve.
- When the brats are nearly finished cooking, brush the cut sides of the pretzel buns lightly with melted butter and grill, cut-side down, on the upper shelf until crisp at the edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the buns cut-side up and top with the sliced brie; grill until the brie just begins to melt, about 1 minute.
- Serve the bratwurst on the buns, topped with slaw. Serve any extra slaw on the side.