Coconut Rum Grilled Shrimp
In our house we like the local Siesta Key Rum for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite coconut rum. If you are using wooden skewers, please be sure to soak them in water prior to grilling.
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup spiced rum (can use non-spiced rum, if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 pounds large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, rum, and lime juice. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Set aside half of mixture for the glaze.
- Add shrimp to remaining mixture still in the bowl. Gently coat all shrimp with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While shrimp is marinating, make your glaze by placing reserved mixture in a small saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and while stirring constantly, allow mixture to thicken slightly, reduced to about 1/2 – 1/3 cup. Remove immediately from heat.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and thread onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. (Using 2 skewers will help them stay put when turning on the grill.) Discard any remaining marinade.
- Grill shrimp over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side or until shrimp have turned pink.
- Remove from grill and brush shrimp with glaze. Turn skewers over and brush the other side with glaze. Serve and enjoy!