Grilled Corn & Zucchini Salad with Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
An amazing, light summer dish packed with flavor. Top with roasted chickpeas for even more protein.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 5-6 ears corn (in husk)
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 1 Tbsp grape seed, avocado or olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes* (soaked in hot water 10 minutes)
- 1 cup hot water*
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil (I used half parsley)
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed (4 cloves yield ~2 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper (plus more to taste)
Optional (but worth it)
- Roasted chickpeas*
- Fresh lime juice
- Start by heating up your grill and prepping the corn and zucchini.
- Slice zucchini thinly lengthwise, brush lightly with avocado or grape seed oil (or another high-heat oil), and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Soak corn (in husk) in cold water for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your dressing by adding all ingredients (sun-dried tomatoes, hot water, lemon juice, basil, garlic, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper) to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth. If too thick, add more water to thin until pourable. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon for acidity, garlic for zing, maple syrup for sweetness, salt + pepper for flavor balance, or basil for freshness/earthiness. Set aside.
- Once your grill is hot, add corn (still in husk) and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, rotating to cook all sides, until all sides are lightly browned. Then carefully remove husk and place back on grill until golden brown on all sides - about 5-8 minutes.
- When the corn is almost ready, add zucchini to the grill and grill on each side for about 2-4 minutes, depending on how hot the grill is. You want grill marks, but you don't want the zucchini to get too soft. Set aside.
- Cut corn off cob and halve zucchini. Then add to a serving bowl. At this time, add roasted chickpeas if desired.
- Quick Roasted Chickpeas: Drain a 15-ounce can of chickpeas and add to a mixing bowl. Then add 1 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil, a healthy pinch each sea salt, ground cumin, dried oregano, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Roast at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drizzle with fresh lime juice and desired amount of dressing, and garnish with fresh basil and/or parsley.
- Best when fresh. Leftover dressing will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days.